Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nursing

I guess I should just go into nursing! I'd probably have my degree by now for all we've been through medically. Sigh.

Symi has been a trooper! She loves being able to go outside and enjoy the fresh air. It always helps her fevers and her attitude. I'm sure she's tired of being cooped up in the house, and now loving the freedom of the "Great Outdoors"! She gave me a scare today. :(

I laid her down for a nap and she slept for about 15 mins and started to scream! I panicked because I've never heard her scream like that! :( I ran to her room and scooped her up out of bed. She was clammy and sweating all over. She wouldn't look at me and was ridged as a board. I tried to wrap her up in a blanket and calm her down. Didn't work. It tired give her a pacifier. Didn't work. She wouldn't keep it in her mouth. I tried to give her a bear. Nope. Talking to her. She still wouldn't look at me or acknowledge me. For 30 mins I debated on taking her to the ER or waiting to see if it would pass. Ben was napping in the next room, and I was worried about waking him too. Finally she stopped crying on her own. Hopped down off my lap. And picked up a toy and started chatting at me like nothing had happened. I was shook up. Whatever happened was NOT normal and scared me to death!

I immediately called the Dr and asked what I should do, and if I should be worried. He asked if she had a fever. Well for the first time. No. If she does it again, or spikes a fever, or has a seizure to take her to the ER right away. Boy that helps me feel so much better. :( He also said to keep a close eye on her for the next 24 hours. So far she's acting and being normal. Except the sudden excessive thirst. She's drank over 6 cups of water and juice in less than 15 mins!! Not long after her "episode". Weird. I guess I'm still shaken.

Anyways, despite the moment, she is doing well. Fevers are coming and going, and she is dealing with them like always. I haven't had a kidney stone pass in about a week!! Yeah!! Celebrating! And am feeling much better. But just very tired now. Between Symi, my health, and being at the end of a pregnancy . . . I'm just tired. But grateful to feel better, and Symi to be able to get outside to play!

Ben is doing well too. Happy and also enjoying the weather. He told me today,"Mommy, I just wish Spring could come. We missed it over Spring Break and I don't know how to get it back! I was just hoping to pick you a flower so that you could smell Spring." Such a sweetheart. Yesterday he found the tiniest flower and was so overjoyed! So was I. :)

Dane is feeling much better and grateful that the infection didn't go far. Glad to have sicknesses gone and my family feeling better!

Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, that would have freaked me out so bad... it almost would have been more freaky when she jumped down and acted normal - holy cow girl, you are NOT having a fun time during this pregnancy, eh??

Hope you can figure this out and that NEVER happens again!!

Kristen said...

Could it have been a "night terror"? My daughter has had a few and they are TERRIFYING. She did the same thing: she woke screaming, crying, stiff as a board, wouldn't be comforted, acted like she didn't know I was there...and then she fell asleep again really suddenly. They scare me to death every time, but I guess night terrors (or naptime terrors) are common for toddlers and young kids. I hope your family gets some peace and a long stretch of good health soon! You all deserve it!

Hepworth Family said...

Kristen - My pregnancy's have always been an adventure! This one has been the most mellow of them all.

Kristen - She's had "Night Terror's" before but nothing like that! Ben had them for years. You could count on them every night. I'm sure hoping that's all it was!

LeBaron Family said...

Super Scary! Even I would be freaked!